Sunday, September 9, 2012

September FMQ challenge

September FMQ challenge! I'm even shocked I got to it this soon. Was just looking at it and decided to tackle it. I think it actually went pretty well!

So 1st I did this using a contrast thread, and traced the picture onto tissue paper and then quilted right over it. I took a machine quilting class about 6 years ago and I remember this was the method she taught us with the tissue paper. I like it because there is no question of where the design it etc.

However, the same issue I have with paper piecing, getting everything off after is a PITA. But it turned out pretty well!




But then I decided to switch two things up. 1st, I redid the design using Don Linn's method with the tuule. And then I did it white on white. See, as I try to do this with contrast so it shows up better in photos it also shows more mistakes.  When it all blends in, it covers any small mistakes quite nicely. I really like how this turned out! So here we have the front and back. I tried doing a bit of filler with pebbles, but that is a project for another day I think. I love the look, but the back looks like a mess, so obviously need to work on the tension and what not. So let's not worry about that right now.


front

back
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I think it looks just great...I've never tried quilting over the paper...might try that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... You're right, the white-on-white looks much better, but then it was the second time you quilted that design and you probably had gotten better at it by the second go-'round, too! I'm getting ready to tackle this one myself. I am terrified of trying to quilt a marked design; I've never tried that before. Now I'm thinking I'll definitely do this with a matching thread instead of contrast. My first try is NOT going to look as good as yours, so I'm going to need all the camouflage I can get! ;-)

    ReplyDelete